Becoming an Ed Tech Advocate


Things unfolded in the way I was not expecting. I guess that's how strong my inner desires wants to manifest in the real world.

Well, technically, I am not under the Google umbrella of employment but in one of the most important departments they have, Emerging Markets, SEA Outreach. Headed by Aileen Apolo - de Jesus, a new community was conceived to be formed with the help of the company I am with, Pixsell.

Philip was such a great help in the integration process. He heads the GEG Philippines project, a pioneer community building initiative for educators in the country. I was approached by him to work as a trainer since he got to know of my background in training and education way back.

As the days progressed, I was with Gab who is supposed to be heading the events coordination team. I was just a tag-along in the meeting. I remember how I just listened to the conversation, then inserting my thoughts and opinions and then eventually taking the lead in the whole planning stage. I'm quite experienced in handling big events, though not officially I am working as an organizer.

In three months, we hurdled different things, force majeure in all its forms and guises. At long last, the inevitable happened miles away from the base city. We conquered Baguio City on November 9, 2013 with a brewing tropical storm in the sky. It turned out to be the strongest typhoon ever and we were spared with a successful turn out of participants.

Baguio was the most challenging leg of the series. It was at Berkeley School Baguio and Mr. Aris Go, the school admin, was the first ever GEG Champion to lead the community.


Manila was done at De La Salle University - Manila on November 22 and 23. Teachers from all over the metro came. We opened a new class for the walk-ins and there are those who are not registered who came in droves. But, Google is generous enough to accommodate each and everyone.


Cebu, the supposed  opener for the whole series came in last. University of San Jose Recoletos - Basak was the partner school who provided us with everything we needed. It was done on the 29th and 30th of November.

Indeed, the whole month of November was turning point for everyone involved in the project. We did it successfully for the first phase and now, plans are brewing for the next phases of the project.

It looks like a busy year for 2014 for me and for my fellow trainers.

#GEGPh #Google #Educators

*This was originally posted at a December 9, 2013 entry on thepurplemanchronicles.com

thepurpleman

A bubbly millennial who is an educational technology consultant, trainer and advocate.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment...